Copyright/Intellectual Property Issues related to the images on this website
- The purpose of this website is entirely academic and non-commercial. We do not buy or sell images here. We do not own most of the images posted here. We only digitally archive or showcase the images collected by several collectors, researchers, or fellows.
- Most of the images featured on this website are in low-resolution (72 dpi) web formats. We restrict downloads of high-resolution (say 300 dpi) from this website.
- All visitors to this website are welcome to see/read its contents and even store it in their personal computer, or make a printout, as long as it is for personal, non-commercial purpose. If you wish to use any images from here (images or text), you may do so only after taking necessary permissions from the copyright owners. Tasveer Ghar will not be responsible for any infringement of the copyright laws.
- The images hosted on our server/website have been acquired from different sources, and belong to their respective owners as mentioned alongside image (when known). A majority of images have been created/made/drawn either by professional artists or by amateur/lay persons (known as well as unknown). Some images may have been commissioned by a publisher or manufacturer whose names or details are no longer available to us.
- In most cases, we provide the name of the artist/creator, the publisher/ manufacturer, and/or the collector who may have purchased or acquired it by different means. If this information is not available, we attempt to mention where it was found or collected from, and when. Hence, the ownership may variously belong to the artist, the manufacturer, the collector, or an institution. And in some cases, we may even find no one claiming ownership!
- At Tasveer Ghar, we are interested in studying the context in which the images are created and used, more than the images themselves. Hence, we are interested in portraying the larger public domains or arenas where mass-produced images are available for everyone to see. In some ways, Tasveer Ghar website itself hopes to act like such a public domain, akin to a street or chowk (a busy crossroad or a marketplace in South Asia) full of hoardings, posters, banners, graffiti, and calendars, where each image is part of the larger context.
- Tasveer Ghar will be open to suggestions on correcting the captions/copyright information provided on our site with each image, if the person making the suggestion can provide a substantial proof about information provided. If you (as a visitor) think that the copyright of a certain image featured on this website belongs to you and would not like it to be hosted here, we will be happy to remove the same, provided you can validate your claim.
- We encourage and invite visitors/readers to contribute to this archive by submitting unique images from their own collections of popular and mass-produced art. We are looking for interesting examples of popular posters and calendar art depicting various themes such as Welcome, Good Morning, general greetings, print advertisements, archival photographs, and so on, that you may either have in your own house, shop or vicinity, or see it on a street, at someone’s house or on an autorickshaw. You will need to send us a digital image (either a scan or a digital photograph) in high resolution and large size. The contributor's name will be provided on the website. The contributor should take necessary copyright permissions about each image, in case such permissions are required. You can email your contributions to us at email@example.com. You can also discuss other interesting ideas of popular culture in your vicinity that need archiving. Please download these guidelines before submitting images or text to Tasveer Ghar.